Created by Ruth Elliott

Welcome! Join me as I reflect on my learning journey with Web 2.0 tools. I'm sure I will find bandwagons to jump on along the way. Let's enjoy the trip.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Ads and Adds$

Paying people to hold signs is one of the olde...Image via Wikipedia

Yesterday as I was perusing websites and learning about social networking sites, I realized that many sites that host social networking make money coming and going. When you sign up for a space on their site, the site is allowed to posts ads. The site makes money because you have ads on your space on that site. However, many sites also offer you the option of turning off those ads for a small fee. You can pay your money to make the ads disappear for a month, several months, or one year. In this way the site makes money because you do display the ads (money comes from the advertisers' pockets) or because you don't display the ads (money comes from your own pocket). It's a pretty sweet set-up.

I can't really complain too much though. I appreciate all of these free services on the internet. If the advertisers want to pay to help me have a space on a site, that is alright with me.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Interesting comment. I sometimes wonder who these sites are really designed for? Are they designed for the general public to connect with each other, or are they subtly designed for advertisers and marketers? Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is quite shocking to see how much money is made off of our "networking" Thanks for the food for thought.

    ReplyDelete